The Need for Self-Discipline.
I long to live the disciplined life. One which results in me and my family spiritually thriving, physically healthy, and living with devotion to the eternal.
I don’t pretend that these things are true of me. I have a long way to go, but without self-discipline I cannot expect these characteristics to become evident in my life.
Getting up at the crack of dawn is no fun, but if I want to experience the fruit of a deep relationship with Jesus I must spend regular time with Him in His Word. If mornings are the only way I can do that, then mornings it is.
The abundant life takes time, perseverance and hard, hard work.
I discipline my body and keep it under control… (1 Corinthians 9:27 ESV)
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
(Philippians 3:14 ESV)
The apostle Paul understood this, that self-control is a must in living the Christian life. Yet, Paul also knew that governing ourselves is not enough.
The Need for Dependence
How foolish can you be? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort? (Galatians 3:3 NLT)
I must learn to become dependent on the Spirit of God. My best efforts are futile without the working of the Holy Spirit in my life.
Even if I were to find a way to manage my every step, there is no way I could even touch the construction needed to be done in my heart. That is a work of God alone
http://inspiredtoaction.com/
Saturday, October 22, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment